I've written a lot on this blog about integrating digital capabilities and culture into traditional ad agency environments. It's not an easy job, but somebody's gotta do it.
This year, I submitted a panel for the SXSW Interactive conference which will be held in Austin this coming March. SXSW allows people to vote on panels that they like, and the voting process influences the conference board's choices. This year, SXSW Interactive received more than 2,000 entries for only 300 spots, so competition is tight.
My panel submission is below. If you think it would be interesting, please vote here. Thanks!
Taking Your Agency Digital: Stories from the Frontlines
For traditional agencies, “going digital” is a huge challenge affecting everything from operations to process to culture. In this panel, seasoned digerati who are now at traditional agencies will share struggles, secrets and tips for tackling the transition from analog to digital.
Questions we'll answer:
1. What challenges do digital staffers face at traditional agencies?
2. Is the "big idea" still relevant in a digital process?
3. What does it mean to be creative in the digital space?
4. How can traditional creatives and user experience professionals interface in a productive way?
5. How does workflow and process need to be revised for digital work?
6. What cultural differences exist and how can they be overcome?
7. What criteria should digerati evaluate when considering a job opportunity at a traditional agency?
8. What are the drawbacks and benefits of being a digital minority in a traditional setting?
9. How can traditonal staffers transition to a digital world?
10. What does success look like?